Do social signals have an impact on your SEO? Do social media signals have a direct impact on website rankings? In this article, you will familiar with Social Signal and the way it affects SEO. Here are the topics we discuss in this paper and you will gain your answers.
- What Is Social signal?
- Why are Social Signals Important in Search Engine Ranking?
- What is the relationship between Social Signal and SEO?
- Are social signals a ranking factor?
- Direct and Indirect Social Signal Impacts on SEO
- Solutions to increase the social signal and improve website rankings
- Types of Social Signals
- What are the best social networks to receive social signals?
- Social Network Optimization for SEO
What Is Social signal?
Social networks now matter more than one messaging channel. They can indirectly influence SEO. Every move you make on social networks is a signal. All the likes, comments, sharings, pinings, retweets, and more are all social signals. These activities on social networks help the organic search ranking of a page of the website. In fact, they are one of Google’s factors that indirectly helps rankings.
Why are Social Signals Important in Search Engine Ranking?
Search engines (Google) try to satisfy its users. In this regard, every item that satisfies users is included in Google’s algorithms. Backlinks were highly influential in the ranking in the past, but as time passed, the importance of backlinks declined. One of the most recent indirect impacts on search rankings is activity on social networks or social signals.
What is the relationship between Social Signal and SEO?
The main purpose of a search engine is to provide users with quality and relevant content. Search engines can evaluate the quality of a URL based on how often a site is viewed. In accordance with the more one URL sharing on social networks, the more social signals are recognized. Based on these signals, they rank the pages in search results.
Increasing social signals indicate the authority of the domain and show the quality of a URL. When a lot of social network users share and as a page, it shows that the content on the page is engaging, useful, and attractive.
Are social signals a ranking factor?
First of all, Google says social signals are not a direct ranking factor. Of course, this does not mean that social signals do not indirectly help SEO! This means that social signals do not directly boost your ranking on Google.
Danny Sullivan confirmed in an article that the links shared on Facebook and Twitter are used as a rating signal. In 2010, following the publication of this article, Matt Katz, the former head of Google’s anti-spam web team, acknowledged that Google uses links on Facebook and Twitter as a ranking signal. The video of this statement can be seen at the following link:
In 2014, Matt Katz said in another video that Google treats Facebook and Twitter pages like any other web page and does not regard them as a ranking factor. The video of this statement can be seen at the following link:
In 2016, Google analyst Gary IIIyes was asked whether Google considers social signals as a ranking factor. He retweeted the video of Matt Katz saying no.
Due to the above, it can be concluded that social media is not a direct factor. But this does not mean that social signals are not influenced by rankings. There is a high correlation between social signals and page rankings. We know that links are one of the most important factors in Google’s ranking. Google has said that social media sharing is not counted as Follow links. But most likely these No-follow links are effective in correlation.
If you create good content, it’s likely to be popular on social networks, and people will probably like it and share it and consequently, it will increase and improve your ranking. Therefore, isn’t it surprising that high-ranking sites have a lot of social signals? This is reasonable, but that does not mean that it is a direct ranking factor.
Direct and Indirect Social Signal Impacts on SEO
Social signals have a direct and indirect impact on your site’s SEO.
The direct effects of social signals are:
- The number of people who like your posts on Facebook.
- The number of times your post is shared on Facebook.
- The number of people who follow you on Twitter.
- The number of times your brand name or your site link is tweeted on Twitter.
- The Number of +1s you get on Google Plus.
- And more.
Indirect effects of social networking signals also come from:
- Increasing the number of backlinks (leading to increased Brand Awareness)
- Decreasing Bounce Rate
- Increasing Time on Site
- Increasing Returning Visitors
Together, this will increase your website’s ranking on Google’s SERP page.
Solutions to increase the social signal and improve website rankings
- Create your own social network account.
- Be Active and post regularly on social networks.
- Get lots of useful followers.
- Use images: images will lead to an increase in the amount of interaction for a variety of social networks.
- Listen: Listen to what people are saying about your brand and respond in a constructive and positive way to their criticism.
- Monitor and Evaluate: There are many free social media marketing tools that you can use to track and check for subscriptions, likes, and comments.
- Set contests and prizes to make users more interested in your brand.
- Invite users to share your content and links on social networks.
- Put sharing buttons on your website.
- Set a reward for sharing your post.
- Launch Social Signal Ads campaigns. (Gamification)
Types of Social Signals
Like SEO, Social Signal has two aspects of On-Site and Off-Site:
On-Site Social Signal Solutions
On-Site Solutions to Increase Social Signal Depend on Internal Website Factors, such as:
- Put Sharing Buttons on Website (Subscribe to Facebook, Subscribe to Google Plus …)
- Put CTA Buttons on the Website (Twitter Follow, Like on Facebook, etc.)
Off-Site Social Signal Solutions
Off-Site social signal solutions all depend on factors outside your website, such as:
- Create a page on Facebook, Twitter, a corporate page in LinkedIn
- Make a Pinterest and YouTube Account
- Other Social Media Platforms
What are the best social networks to receive social signals?
Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
Social Network Optimization for SEO
Optimize your social networks for SEO:
If you want to use your social networks to improve your SEO, you need to optimize your presence in these places and try to get more. Here’s how to do it:
- Optimize your social network profiles.
In order to make your brand popular on social networks, your profile needs to be optimized across different media and be fully relevant to your business. Don’t forget to include a web link, email newsletter and more.
- Post regularly on social networks.
Provide a good schedule for posting on any social network. For example, you can post multiple posts in one day on Twitter, but this is not very popular on LinkedIn’s social network and it is sufficient to publish one post daily.
- Improve your social updates.
Optimize your post if you want them published on social networks to be shared more. That means you should use viral and attractive titles, eye-catching images, hashtags, and more. Also, you have to publish something that meets the needs of users. Check out what users are looking for using different tools. For example, you can use a good Buzzsumo tool. Hashtags are the keywords that help you categorize your content and help social network users find the best content.
When using hashtags, be aware that in different social networks, you have to act in a different way, such as using hashtags on Instagram, and in fact, hashtags are everywhere on Instagram, while on Facebook This is not the case and you should use hashtags more carefully.
- Optimize your website content for social sharing.
You can do some on-site optimization to encourage your visitors to share your content. Create high-quality content to encourage users to share your content on social networks. Use attractive and relevant headlines and images. This will increase users’ engagement with you and encourage them to share.
- Increase user engagement.
Responding to user comments below posts on social networks makes you look active and dynamic and is valuable to users.